- Cassia fistula- its Ayurveda property, usage and pharmacological study
- Medicinal Plants Image Gallery Part 3
- Medicinal Plants Image Gallery Part 2
- Medicinal Plants Image Gallery Part 1
- पारसीकवचा- Smilax china
- पार्वती - Linum usitatissimum
- पापचॆलिका- Cissampelos pareira (medicinal herbs)
- पातालगरुडी- Cocculus hirsutus
- पाण्डुरद्रुमः- Hollarhena antidysenterica
- पाण्डुफलः- Trichosanthes dioica (medicinal herb)
- पाण्डुकः- Oryza sativa (medicinal plant)
- पाण्डु- Teramnus labialis
- पाठी - Plumbago zeylanica
- पाठा- Cissampelos pareira (medicinal herb)
- पाटलिः- Stereospermum suaveolens (medicinal herb)
- पाटला - Stereospermum suaveolens
- पाटलः- Oryza sativa (medicinal herb)
Herbs - Medicinal plants usage and Identification Data base
Vitis vinifera Linn.
Habitat A woody, shrubby vine, cultivated in Punjab, Rajasthan, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh Maharashtra, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu for edible fruits.
English Wine Grape, European Grape. (Chinese: P’u-t’ao.)
Ayurvedic Draakshaa, Go-stani, Mrdvikaa. Dehydrated fruit— Daalth, Munnakaa, Kishmish.
Unani Angoor. Dehydrated
fruit—Daakh, Maweez, Zabeeb,
Action Dried fruits, seedless— nourishing and invigorating. Used in prescriptions for cough, respiratory tract catarrh, subacute cases of enlarged liver and spleen; and in alcohol-based tonics (Aasavs).
The Ayurvedic Pharmacopoeia of India recommends dried mature fruits(5—10 g) in anaemia, jaundice, dyspepsia, constipation, haemorrhagic diseases, gout, cough, dyspnoea, and alcoholism. Grape vine contains flavonoids, tannins, tartrates, inositol, carotenes, choline and sugars. The fruit contains tartaric and malic acids, sugars, pectin,tannin, flavone glycosides, vitamins A,Bi, B2, C and minerals; anthocyaninsin red leaves and red grapes. Anthocyanins reduce capillary permeability. Red leaves are astringent and anti- inflammatory; an infusion is used for diarrhoea, heavy menstrual bleeding and uterine haemorrhage; also in the treatment of varicose veins and haemorrhoids.
Oligomeric proanthocyanidin extract of the seed is used in atherosclerosis due to its free radical scavenging ability, also in venous insufficiency, night vision, oedema due to injury and post surgery oedema.
Proanthocyanidin extract decreased hepatotoxicity of acetaminophen in mice. Grape polyphenols, extracted from skin and seeds decreased hepatic injury from alcohol, but had no effect on ethanol-induced lipid changes in rats. (Sharon M. Herr.)
Dosage Dried mature fruits—5— 10 g.