- Medicinal Plants Image Gallery Part 3
- Medicinal Plants Image Gallery Part 2
- Medicinal Plants Image Gallery Part 1
- पारसीकवचा- Smilax china
- पार्वती - Linum usitatissimum
- पापचॆलिका- Cissampelos pareira (medicinal herbs)
- पातालगरुडी- Cocculus hirsutus
- पाण्डुरद्रुमः- Hollarhena antidysenterica
- पाण्डुफलः- Trichosanthes dioica (medicinal herb)
- पाण्डुकः- Oryza sativa (medicinal plant)
- पाण्डु- Teramnus labialis
- पाठी - Plumbago zeylanica
- पाठा- Cissampelos pareira (medicinal herb)
- पाटलिः- Stereospermum suaveolens (medicinal herb)
- पाटला - Stereospermum suaveolens
- पाटलः- Oryza sativa (medicinal herb)
- पुष्करमूलं- Saussurea lappa (medicinal plant)
- पुष्करम्- Saussurea lappa (medicinal herb)
- पशुमॆहनकारिका - Lepidium sativum
- पृश्निपर्णी- Uraria picta (medicinal plant)
- प्लीहशत्रुः- Tephrosia purpurea
- पलाशः- Thespesia populnea
- पलाण्डुः- Allium cepa
Herbs - Medicinal plants usage and Identification Data base
datura metel -Dhatura
Datura metel is a shrub-like perennial herb, commonly known as angel's trumpet, devil's trumpet, and metel.
Datura metel grows in the wild in all the warmer parts of the world, and is cultivated worldwide for its chemical and ornamental properties. It was first described by Linnaeus in 1753, but no botanically correct illustrations or descriptions were made until after the New World was settled. It is not possible to be sure about its original home.
The plant is an annual herb growing up to 3 ft. high. It is slightly furry, with dark violet shoots and oval to broad oval leaves that are often dark violet as well. The pleasantly-scented 6-8 in. flowers are immensely varied, and can be single or double. Colors range from white to cream, yellow, red, and violet. The seed capsule is covered with numerous conical humps and a few spines. It is similar to D. inoxia, but D. metel has almost glabrous leaves and fruits that are knobby, not spiny. D. inoxia is pilose all over and has a spiny fruit.
Scopolamine (Hyoscine) is the major active constituent of the plant.
Scopolamine has analgesic and sedative actions and produce amnesia1. It also has anti-inflammatory property.
The whole plant is considered poisonous. The alkaloid Hyoscine in large doses causes delirium, coma, and even death