- Medicinal Plants Image Gallery Part 3
- Medicinal Plants Image Gallery Part 2
- Medicinal Plants Image Gallery Part 1
- पारसीकवचा- Smilax china
- पार्वती - Linum usitatissimum
- पापचॆलिका- Cissampelos pareira (medicinal herbs)
- पातालगरुडी- Cocculus hirsutus
- पाण्डुरद्रुमः- Hollarhena antidysenterica
- पाण्डुफलः- Trichosanthes dioica (medicinal herb)
- पाण्डुकः- Oryza sativa (medicinal plant)
- पाण्डु- Teramnus labialis
- पाठी - Plumbago zeylanica
- पाठा- Cissampelos pareira (medicinal herb)
- पाटलिः- Stereospermum suaveolens (medicinal herb)
- पाटला - Stereospermum suaveolens
- पाटलः- Oryza sativa (medicinal herb)
- पुष्करमूलं- Saussurea lappa (medicinal plant)
- पुष्करम्- Saussurea lappa (medicinal herb)
- पशुमॆहनकारिका - Lepidium sativum
- पृश्निपर्णी- Uraria picta (medicinal plant)
- प्लीहशत्रुः- Tephrosia purpurea
- पलाशः- Thespesia populnea
- पलाण्डुः- Allium cepa
Herbs - Medicinal plants usage and Identification Data base
Ipomea pescprae - maryadavali
lpomoea pes-caprae (Linn.) Sweet.
Synonym I. biloba Forsk.
Habitat Near sea, especially on the West Coast.
English Goat’s Foot Creeper.
Ayurvedic Chhagalaantri, Maryaada-valli.
Siddha/Tamil Adambu, Attukkal, Musattalai.
Action Astringent, stomachic, laxative, antidiarrhoeal, antiemetic, analgesic. Leaf—diuretic, anti- inflammatory.
Used in colic, prolapsus ani; externally in rheumatism. Essential oil of leaves— antagonistic to histamine. Leaf extract is used for different types of inflammations including injuries caused by poisonous jelly-fish.
Clinical trials have proved that an extract (IPA) inhibited the action of jelly-fish toxins. Its topical application inhibited carrageenan-induced paw and ear oedema induced by arachidonic acid or ethyl phenylpropionate in rats. The crude extract of leaves also show inhibitory effect on prostaglandin synthesis in vitro.
Crude extract (IPA) of the leaves has also been shown to antagonize smooth muscle contraction induced by several agonists via non-specific mechanism. Antispasmodic isoprenoids, beta-damascenone and E-phytol have been isolated from the extract. The antispasmodic activity was found to be in the same range as that of papaverine.
The alcoholic extract of leaves showed insulinogenic and hypoglycaemic activities in rats, comparable to the hypoglycaemic drug chlorpropamide.
The leaves and seeds contain indole alkaloid. Plant also contains a steroid, an amide, pentatriacontane, triacontane, volatile oil and behenic, melissic, butyric and myristic acids.